Can an Introvert excel at Sales?


If you are an introvert like myself  and this question "Can an Introvert excel at sales " creeps in your mind often then, it's a very common introvert issue.
 Introverts are more often very introspective and like to analyse their strengths and weaknesses every now and then. This is ability to analyse makes one be their own harsh critic. Here's a case in point;  Because I often self analyze a lot I sometimes miss out on the great qualities that i have for instance ( as most introverts have)- I am a good listener, I listen to people a lot , sometimes out of curiosity or for interests sake and this is a good thing to have as a sales person as it helps with research and report writing. I feel that my CV never sells me enough, because unless my supervisor mentioned that I really did well on a particular aspect of a job, I would be hesitant to put it in my CV as I feel if i did then maybe it won't be as impressive to others as well . More often than not, people who have engaged me on a personal level, can attest to my abilities and refer me.

I sell myself better in person than in writing and this has given me the opportunities I have ever gotten in Sales.

Let me tell you about the lucky accident that landed me in my sales roles.

My first sales job was working for a manufacturer in the Aluminium profiles industry. At the time I had no industry experience, I was not looking for just any job, I had not gone through the whole unemployment cycle. I had just finished my course work in ICT at  the University, I was looking for an internship  for my Industrial placement semester. I sent an application to a few companies and  two of these responded back. I was relieved for a response but was not even elated at the prospects( I had no forethought about what the placement semester would help me achieve but  it was just a requirement.
The first company offered me a job in the warehouse without any prospect for employment and no guarantee of ever using their ICT systems ( what a waste!) while the second offer was one month placement in ICT and then to join the sales team ( looked like a legitimate offer to consider and eventually took it.) . This is the turning point in my life.

My first employer (CEO ) was the best person to work with. Even to this very day, I owe him a debt of gratitude . ( Follow my next blogs in a few weeks about this)

To get back to the initial question... Can an introvert be a good sales person? Absolutely.

You need to have basics in these skills:

  • Confidence
  • Presentation Skills ( Eloquence)
  • Good Attitude
  • Resilience
The hallmark of every great sales person is RESILIENCE even extroverts RELY on this. Work on this.

Are you an introvert in sales? How did you get started and what skill do you think is most important for an introvert in sales?

I would love to hear all the stories from the sales floor...

Also share and recommend.

Adios

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview Question: Tell Me about Yourself?

What you need to know about your References

Why I quit my Job- You can't teach an Old dog New ways